Friday 5 October 2012

Hiccoughing solution



I wanted to make a potion that the Brownies could try but would also have some fun reactions too.

 I started off by colouring some sugar-free lemonade blue with food colouring. We called this lethe river water and I poured each Brownie about three quarters of glass.  The next ingredient we added was doxy eggs. For this we just used the little silver balls used for cake decorating.
Next we added a bezoar.  Now I was hoping this would cause the lemonade to fizz up as in the mentos and diet coke experiment. Unfortunately I had to buy a different lemonade than the one I'd practised with and this one didn't react with mento as much as I'd hoped when it was simply dropped in. However,  by my third group of Brownies I'd figured out that you could get it to fizz up by giving it a good stir.
Next we added syrup of hellebore  which was really just red food colouring and water. This made the potions a pretty purple colour. I love how 7-10 year olds are still fascinated by simple colour mixing. (Wow! Mine's turned purple!) Everyone's was a slightly different colour due to adding different amounts of red but this made them even more special.
The last ingredient we added was Ground graphorn horn  which was pretty fun trying to say. I had to get the Brownies to be quiet for this one because it was really popping candy. It was great to make a potion that fizzed and crackled. My only piece of advice when using popping candy is don't put it into a jar too far ahead of the lesson. I emptied 20 packets into a jar a week or so before the holiday and by the time we came to use it it was all stuck together.

Now check out the last potion: Wishing potion

No comments:

Post a Comment